Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty, and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Learn more about our unique culture and history.
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Underwriter to join our growing national broker-focused Property team in Melbourne.
We are seeking an individual who is intelligent, passionate and who is always striving towards excellence. The successful candidate will display strong written and verbal communication skills, sound analytical skills and have the ability to work both independently and collaboratively across all levels and disciplines.
Strong character is of the utmost importance as are relationship building and negotiation skills. You should be focused on a positive customer experience, while maintaining sound underwriting discipline. Good data and file management skills are also a requirement of the role.
If you’re an Underwriter looking to expand your responsibilities, marketing capabilities and Underwriting knowledge with an experienced and well-regarded team within a top global insurance company, then this role is a perfect for you!
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop and build the property book of business which includes primary/excess layers, multi-year policies and other bespoke structural placements.
- Establish, develop, and expand upon our existing broker and customer relationships with National brokers in the Australian market.
- Underwrite and grow our book of business within the BHSI risk appetite.
- Service an existing renewal portfolio.
- Work in a fast-paced environment, multi-task, and make quick decisions while maintaining underwriting integrity and focusing on underwriting profit.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- 5+ years in Commercial property insurance experience is preferred.
- Existing broker and customer relationships, or the experience and ability to develop strong broker and customer relationships quickly.
- Strong underwriting acumen.
- Experience and strong understanding of policy forms, including broker manuscripts.
- Experience marketing to focused brokers.
- Proven customer development experience preferred.
- Good understanding of CAT peril modeling/pricing preferred.
- Strong collaboration and team building skills.
- Willing to travel as required.
- Strong communication skills including negotiation, communications and presentation experience.
- Degree or equivalent education, and/or strong insurance qualifications are preferred.
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities for career-oriented teammates.
- A dynamic, action oriented, and thoughtful environment centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates and our other stakeholders.
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework.
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Please send resumes to email@example.com
Visit our website at www.bhspecialty.com