BHSI is looking for a technically-oriented actuary with exceptional communication skills to join our team. We are looking for an individual who has both an ability to excel and an excellence of character. Our culture is innovative and fast-paced, and this position will be the perfect fit for an individual who is intellectually curious, self-motivated and a collaborative team member.
The Actuarial Analyst in this role will support the buildout and enhancement of BHSI’s Healthcare Professional Liability pricing framework around the world. This involves responsibilities at both a portfolio level and a transactional level. The analyst will research and process available loss and exposure datasets to refine pricing factors and tools and evaluate new methodology. Additionally, the analyst will work with regional underwriters to price individual large accounts from BHSI’s Healthcare business globally and clearly communicate account-specific insights to influence market strategy. This role works closely with teammates in Actuarial, Underwriting, Claims, and IT around the world, providing broad exposure to a range of functional areas and an evolving product line as well as involving the analyst closely with operations at a granular, transactional level.
Essential Job Functions:
• Analyze loss and exposure information to help derive proprietary pricing factors and models
• Coordinate with underwriters to price individual large accounts and effectively communicate insights into account performance and changes
• Assist in research and evaluation of new pricing methodologies, products, or venues
• Maintain and improve pricing tool infrastructure to ensure data quality and ease of use for teammates in Actuarial and Underwriting
• Collaborate with other departments (Underwriting, IT, Claims) in the development and integration of actuarial and corporate systems as they evolve with the company
• Collaborate with offshore resources to improve business processes and increase efficiency
• Provide insights into the company’s business using the combination of tools needed to best complete each task (e.g. SQL queries, Excel)
• Demonstrated progress toward the FCAS designation.
• Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Actuarial Science, or related field
• 2+ years of actuarial or insurance experience
• Strong Excel, VBA, and SQL skills, with desire for continuous improvement. Knowledge of R a plus.
• Experience building insurance pricing models
• Solid oral and written communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work in a team environment as well as independently
• Strong desire to learn from and share knowledge with teammates
• Effective time management, with the ability to juggle multiple projects at the same time
• Flexibility- eagerness to take on projects as needed outside of listed duties and traditional actuarial work to achieve company goals
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.