We are Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) a strong, trusted insurance partner, providing a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers around the globe. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals with excellent capabilities and character. Ready to join and be a part of our team as we build the finest property, casualty and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
BHSI has an exciting opportunity to grow with and help shape our entry into the admitted casualty space in our Chicago office. We’re looking for a well-rounded underwriting professional to develop and own profitable Middle Market casualty lines portfolio through our new admitted platform.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Build and grow an admitted book of business which includes primary GL, Auto and umbrella working directly with agents and brokers.
• Work closely with other functional areas
• Work with our Customer and Broker Engagement team to establish, develop, and expand retail broker and customer relationships.
• Help direct the future of the operation providing feedback in the areas of distribution, process, underwriting & appetite to refine our craftsmanship.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• Have a strong desire to build something and you are confident that you will thrive in a rapidly growing, dynamic environment
• Have commitment to diligence, creativity and ability to collaborate with all levels and all disciplines
• Ability to multi-task and make quick decisions while maintaining underwriting integrity
• Strong underwriting acumen with experience in primary admitted underwriting preferably for at least 3 – 5 years
• Strong communication skills including experience in negotiation, communications and presentations
• Established existing agents, brokers & customers relationships in region
• BS/BA Degree or equivalent experience
• A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities with a growing global organization
• A liberating, fast-paced culture, centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates and our business
• A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity, encourages innovation, and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP