New York, NY
Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Are you interested in learning about the insurance industry and what it means to be a successful Underwriter? Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance has an exciting opportunity for an entry level candidate to join our Property team as an Associate Underwriter (Underwriter Trainee) in our New York office. The Associate Underwriter will receive real time on the job training with exposure to the world of Property insurance.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Support underwriters with all activities related to account development
- Assist underwriters in data analysis and account assessment
- Correspond with brokers; follow up on outstanding information
- Collaborate closely with risk control, claims, operations, and legal teams to evaluate risk and provide solutions to customers
- Work in a fast-paced environment, multi-task, and make quick decisions while maintaining underwriting integrity
- Actively participate in on the job training as well as pursue insurance courses/certifications as required and participate in periodic group classroom training
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proven attention to detail
- Must be proactive and able to work within a team environment
- Ability to support and enhance workflow and process
- Strong communication skills; both verbal and written
- BA/BS degree or equivalent experience
- Strong competency in MS Office applications
- Some travel may be required
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities for career-oriented teammates
- A dynamic, action oriented, and thoughtful environment centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates and our other stakeholders
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP.