Atlanta, GA/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/New York, NY/San Francisco, CA
Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) has an exciting opportunity for an Assistant Vice President (AVP) / Vice President production underwriting position for Builder’s Risk insurance located in either New York, Atlanta, Chicago, Houston or San Francisco. The position will be responsible for developing and underwriting US property construction business.
The AVP/ VP of Builder’s Risk will pre-qualify new business, analyze property and delay risk exposures and leverage experience and expertise to make sound underwriting decisions. This position will be a market-facing and responsible for profitably developing and growing the product line. The AVP/VP will identify and expand national and regional broker channels and develop customer relationships through production and marketing calls.
The underwriting focus will be on project-specific, technical construction risks with natural catastrophe exposures.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Underwrite EAR, CAR and Heavy Civil projects
- Underwrite Completed Civil Risks (CCR)
- Develop and build a profitable book of Builder’s Risk and CCR business.
- Establish, develop, and expand broker and customer relationships
- Develop marketing plans
- Analyze CAT peril modeling and pricing
- Work in a fast-paced environment, multi-task, and make quick decisions while maintaining underwriting integrity.
- Travel within the territory
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- 7-10+ years Builder’s Risk insurance experience, including EAR, CAR and Heavy Civil Works
- 7-10+ years engineering insurance experience with Completed Civil Risks preferred
- Experience working on Master Builder’s Risk programs and project-specific placements
- Strong existing broker relationships within the retail and wholesale brokerage community on national and regional levels
- Strong underwriting acumen and attention to detail
- Understanding of CAT peril modeling/pricing as applied to Builder’s Risk
- Experience and proficiency in policy wording, broker manuscript forms review and policy issuance
- Ability to collaborate and work within a Team Environment
- Must be entrepreneurial and a self-starter
- Willing to travel up to 20% of the time
- Excellent communication skills, including advanced negotiation, communications and presentation experience
- BA/BS degree. Engineering degree preferred.
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities for career-oriented teammates
- A dynamic, action oriented, and thoughtful environment centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates and our other stakeholders
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP.