Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) is seeking an experienced and talented Actuary to join our Casualty Pricing Division. We are looking for an individual who has both an ability to excel and an excellence of character. Our culture is innovative and fast paced and this position will be the perfect fit for an individual who is intellectually curious, self-motivated and a collaborative team member. This position can be based from our Boston or New York office locations.
Essential Job Functions:
- Price individual, large casualty accounts, working closely with underwriting in the process.
- Analyze claims and exposure data to develop proprietary pricing factors and models.
- Develop quantitative, diagnostic tools to be used by underwriters in pricing individual risks and managing a portfolio of business.
- Research new pricing techniques and enhance existing methods.
- Collaborate with other departments (underwriting, IT, claims) in the development and integration of actuarial systems that are evolving as the company continues its growth.
- 5+ years of experience in commercial insurance, preferably casualty lines pricing.
- Proficiency in SQL and R is strongly preferred.
- ACAS or FCAS.
- Proven math and analytical skills, as normally acquired through the pursuit of a bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Actuarial Science, or a related field.
- Previous experience working closely with underwriting.
- Solid oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment as well as independently
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.