Who are we?
A strong, trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers around the globe. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals with excellent capabilities and character. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company has an exciting opportunity for a Casualty Underwriter with our team in Chicago.
We are seeking an individual who is hard working, intelligent, and passionate and who is always striving towards excellence. Candidate must be able to learn new products and have the ability to work both independently and to collaborate with all levels and all disciplines.
This position is a great fit for an Underwriter newer in their career or a 5 year plus experienced Underwriter looking to expand their responsibilities and underwriting knowledge to the next level with an experienced and well regarded underwriting unit within a top notch insurance company.
Day to day responsibilities include expanding and developing new business opportunities through production and marketing calls with brokers and clients, marketing to distribution channels, prequalifying new business and utilizing underwriting acumen to select sound casualty risks & form opinion of risks. Additional responsibilities include:
- Develop and grow the Casualty book of business which includes primary, umbrella, and excess liability for various classes.
- Establish, develop, and expand broker and customer relationships in the Midwest/Central Region.
- Work closely with loss control, claims, and legal teams to evaluate risk and provide solutions to customers.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment, multi-task, and make quick decisions while maintaining underwriting integrity.
- Maintain a profitable renewal book.
- Travel up to 20% of the time.
- Minimum 3 years Casualty underwriting experience
- Strong underwriting acumen
- Existing broker & customer relationships
- Ability to work within a fast paced, customer focused & team environment
- Strong communication skills including advanced negotiation, communications and presentation experience
- BS/BA Degree or equivalent experience
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities with a growing global organization
- A liberating, fast-paced culture, centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates and our business
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity, encourages innovation, and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework