Who are we?
A strong, trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers around the globe. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals with excellent capabilities and character. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) has an exciting opportunity for Corporate Counsel for the Asia Middle East (AME) Region. This position is based in Hong Kong and responsible for the legal, regulatory and compliance requirements in the region, which includes offices in Hong Kong, Singapore, Macau, Malaysia and Dubai. This position will have internal and external facing responsibilities and will report to the Chief Counsel, Asia Middle East.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage the legal and regulatory requirements of the AME-based business both internally and externally for the region.
- Provide direct support and counsel to regional management team based in the Hong Kong office.
- Interface with local insurance regulators and other regional officials to ensure compliance with licensing and other regulatory agencies.
- Manage customer and public inquiries and complaints.
- Advise local underwriters on drafting of insurance and reinsurance policy/slip wordings specific to local markets.
- Review regional agreements/contracts and outsourcing arrangements/approvals entered into and performed by the regional offices.
- Advise management and human resources on employment issues.
- Assist in the legal review of potential acquisitions, mergers or divestures; intellectual property protection; and data transfer requirements.
- Update the senior management on regulatory changes and legal developments and support in the dissemination of information and raising awareness in the region.
- Vet approved external counsel and establish protocols for their engagement.
- Manage vendor engagements and contracts and maintain the outsourcing compliance framework.
- Provide compliance training and monitoring and support in external, internal and regulatory audits.
- Provide legal support to the compliance function for laws relative to outsourcing, ethics, insider trading, information security, anti-corruption, document retention, data security and privacy, hotlines, FCPA, OFAC and any other economic or trade sanctions.
- Assist with local governance requirements.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Juris Doctorate or equivalent legal qualification.
- 5 to 10 years of post-qualification experience working, preferably in the property and casualty insurance industry.
- Regional experience working in-house with a global/international insurance carrier with competency in drafting (re)insurance policy/slip wording.
- Good knowledge of international and regional insurance regulatory requirements, AML and sanctions screening best practices.
- Strong analytical, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of executives, subject matter experts and vendors.
- Time management, prioritization and project management skills.
- Self-driven and self-disciplined, and able to work independently with a keen attention to detail.
• A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities with a growing global organization
• A liberating, fast-paced culture, centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates and our business
• A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity, encourages innovation, and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Please send resumes to HR.Asia@BHSpecialty.com
Visit our website at www.bhspecialty.com