A strong, trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers around the globe. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals with excellent capabilities and character. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
BHSI is seeking an experienced Casualty Underwriter to join the team in New York. We are seeking an individual who is hard working, intelligent, and passionate and who is always striving towards excellence.
Position will be responsible for expanding and developing new business opportunities through production and marketing calls with brokers and clients, marketing to distribution channels, prequalifying new business and utilizing underwriting acumen to select sound casualty risks & form opinion of risks.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Develop and grow the Casualty National Account book of business which includes primary, umbrella, and excess liability for various classes (e.g. General Casualty, Energy, Transportation, and Products)
• Maintain a profitable renewal book
• Lead customer meetings for new and renewal business
• Establish, develop, and expand retail broker and customer relationships in the New York Region.
• Work closely with loss control, actuary, claims, and legal teams to evaluate risk and provide solutions to customers.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, multi-task, and make quick decisions while maintaining underwriting integrity.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• 5-10+ years of National Account excess casualty underwriting experience (min 5 years)
• 5-10+ years of experience with customer meetings (min 5 years)
• Existing Marsh, Willis, Aon relationships
• Technical underwriting skill set
• Ability to work within a fast paced, customer focused, team environment
• Strong communication skills including advanced negotiation and presentation experience
• BS/BA Degree or equivalent experience
• A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities with a growing global organization
• A liberating, fast-paced culture, centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates and our business
• A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity, encourages innovation, and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization