A strong, trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers around the globe. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals with excellent capabilities and character. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (‘BHSI’) has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Underwriter in Atlanta or Boston.
This position is a great fit for a 2+ year, experienced Marine Underwriter looking to expand their responsibilities and underwriting knowledge and grow a book of business. We are seeking an individual who is hard working, team oriented, passionate and always striving towards excellence. The candidate must be able to learn new products and have the ability to work both independently and to collaborate with all levels and all disciplines. Ideally, the candidate will have experience in both Inland Marine lines (including Builders Risk, Contractor Equipment and Motor Truck Cargo) and Ocean Cargo but either would be acceptable.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Handle day-to-day responsibilities as a Marine Underwriter working closely with the North American Marine team. Tasks will include but not limited to, developing business with national and regional distribution channels, prequalifying accounts, and utilizing underwriting acumen to select sound marine risks. Expand and develop new business opportunities through production & marketing calls with brokers and clients.
• Develop and build the Marine book of business which includes both Inland Marine and Ocean Cargo coverages
• Establish, develop, and expand broker and customer relationships working independently and in conjunction with other BHSI product lines
• Underwrite and grow book of business
• Prequalify new business
• Maintain a profitable renewal book of business
• Work in a fast-paced environment, multi-task, and make quick decisions while maintaining underwriting integrity
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• 2+ years insurance experience
• Inland/Ocean Cargo underwriting experience strongly preferred
• Existing broker relationships
• Experience and understanding of policy forms, including broker manuscripts
• Experience marketing to specialized brokers
• Proven client development experience
• Basic understanding of CAT peril modeling/pricing
• Strong collaboration and team building skills
• Must be entrepreneurial and a self-starter
• Willing to travel up to 10% to 15% of time
• Strong communication skills including advanced negotiation, communications and presentation experience
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
• A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities with a growing global organization
• A liberating, fast-paced culture, centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates and our business
• A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity, encourages innovation, and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP