A strong, trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to
customers around the globe. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team
of professionals with excellent capabilities and character. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Casualty Claims Examiner in our Atlanta office. Candidates for our New York office will be considered as well.
Day to day responsibilities include handling and adjusting all facets of transportation, construction and general casualty claims.
• Responsible for managing and adjusting transportation, construction and general casualty claims impacting primary, umbrella and excess policies. Ensure high level of customer service and technical claim file quality.
• Duties may include but are not limited to: proactively handling claims from first notice of loss through ultimate resolution, working and advising internal partners on claims, developing a plan of action for ultimate resolution, obtaining budgets and meeting with clients and brokers.
• Provides outstanding customer service and works well with the insured, broker and TPA in the handling and adjudication of claims.
• Analyze and draft coverage letters as appropriate and communicates coverage positions effectively.
• Conducts, coordinates, and proactively directs investigation and defense of claims.
• Directs and closely monitors assignments to experts and defense counsel.
• Evaluates information on coverage, liability, and damages to determine the extent of exposure to the insured and the company.
• Drafts reports, sets reserves within authority or makes claim recommendations concerning reserve changes.
• Travels to conferences, mediations, and trials as necessary.
• Should have a high degree of specialized and technical competence in the handling general casualty claims.
• Minimum of 3-5 years of construction and casualty claim handling experience.
• College degree required or matching equivalency.
• Ability to work independently and assimilate learning materials on many different subjects from various sources.
• Excellent interpersonal communications and negotiation skills.
• Ability to work in a team environment.
• Should have technical competence in all aspects of casualty claims with emphasis on customer service.
• Experience in handling and adjusting claims in all 50 states and possess required licenses.
• A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities with a growing global organization
• A liberating, fast-paced culture, centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates and our business
• A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity, encourages innovation, and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization