A strong and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers around the globe. As part of Berkshire Hathaway Inc.’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals with excellent capabilities and character. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
At Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance our claims professionals are an integral part of our business. Every claim is handled with the utmost skill by seasoned and dedicated claims professionals. We are seeking an experienced professional to join our growing team in the New York or Atlanta office. This position is a great opportunity for practicing lawyers looking to transition out of a law firm as well as claim professionals with healthcare and/or casualty claims experience.
In this role, the Casualty Claims Professional will have a unique opportunity to handle and adjust all facets of Transportation, General Casualty and Construction claims in a highly collaborative team environment dedicated to best in class claims handling.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Manage and adjust casualty claims impacting primary, umbrella and excess policies while ensuring the highest level of customer service and technical claim file quality.
• Proactively handle claims from first notice of loss through ultimate resolution while working with and advising internal partners, obtaining budgets, and meeting with clients and brokers.
• Ongoing collaboration and partnership with the insured, broker and TPA in the handling and adjudication of claims.
• Analyze and draft coverage letters as appropriate and communicate coverage positions effectively.
• Conduct, coordinate, and proactively handle the investigation process and ensures timely resolution of claims.
• Direct and closely monitor assignments to experts and defense counsel as necessary.
• Evaluate information on coverage, liability, and damages to determine the extent of exposure to the insured and the company.
• Draft reports, set reserves within the authority or make claim recommendations concerning reserve changes.
• Travel to conferences, mediations, and trials as necessary.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• Should have a high degree of specialized and technical competence in the handling claims.
• 5-10 years of casualty claim handling experience or matching equivalency
• College degree required. JD preferred.
• Ability to work independently and assimilate learning materials on many different subjects from various sources.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication, and negotiation skills.
• Ability and willingness to work effectively in a team environment and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Experience in handling and adjusting claims in multiple jurisdictions and must possess, or be willing to obtain, required licenses.
• A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities with a growing global organization
• A liberating, fast-paced culture, centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates, and our business
• A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity, encourages innovation, and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP