This position is responsible for assisting Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company’s (“BHSIC”) Legal Department in the development and use of its Executive and Professional products in the admitted, non-admitted and international markets, with particular focus on cyber, technology and professional liability. The attorney selected for this position will work closely with the legal, underwriting, claims, state affairs, operations, marketing and other functional teams to support BHSIC’s continued growth in the US and in Canada by providing technical legal advice, assistance and support with respect to all legal and regulatory aspects associated with BHSIC’s products and business.
Essential Job Functions:
• Handle requests for legal advice regarding BHSIC’s products and business.
• Support underwriters in reviewing/issuing various BHSIC products.
• Review legal and regulatory requirements concerning BHSIC’s products and business.
• Participate in new product and business opportunities.
• Assist in the development of system and procedures to disseminate legal information to underwriting, claims and other management teams on legal developments that effect BHSIC’s products and business.
• Prepare market surveys relative to executive and professional products.
• 7 to 10 years’ experience as a lawyer (in-house counsel with a major commercial insurance company preferred).
• Advanced knowledge of Executive and Professional liability insurance and expertise in cyber, technology and professional liability related exposures.
• Experience drafting insurance forms and endorsements and/or litigating insurance coverage matters required.
• Familiarity with state regulations related to the admitted market.
• JD Degree from an ABA approved law school.
• Admission to practice in New York as a licensed attorney.
• Experience with general insurance principles and practices.
• Time management, prioritization and project management skills required.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Self-driven and self-disciplined.
• Able to work independently.
• Superior academic credentials.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team members may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.