A strong and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers around the globe. As part of Berkshire Hathaway Inc.’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals with excellent capabilities and character. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
BHSI is seeking a Senior Data Analyst to join our globally-focused Actuarial Analytics Team. Position will be based in the Boston office. We are looking for an individual who has both an ability to excel and an excellence of character. Our culture is innovative and fast-paced, and this position will be the perfect fit for an individual who is intellectually curious, self-motivated and a collaborative team member.
The Senior Data Analyst in this role will own a variety of projects central to enhancing and growing BHSI’s analytics and reporting capabilities within the global actuarial team. The ideal individual will have experience querying and analyzing data and will have the collaborative qualities to work with actuaries and business leaders on various initiatives establishing requirements and meeting deliverables to support data-driven decision making. This individual will be well-equipped to work with data in all forms and stages, including raw data mining, ETL procedures, data model creation, and business intelligence report development. A candidate with a passion for problem solving with data and a desire to constantly learn and apply new skills will be successful in this role.
• Utilize SQL to investigate, identify, extract, interpret, and analyze data
• Deliver clear and actionable insights to the business through various channels and platforms, including Excel and Microsoft PowerBI
• Support and enhance the central proprietary database by identifying and integrating data elements necessary to support reporting initiatives
• Identify ways to automate new data processes and gain efficiencies on existing processes in effort to centralize and standardize data where applicable
• Proactively engage with business partners and actuaries to understand reporting requirements and translate them into meaningful output
• Own the integration of new data sources to a central repository through sound testing, documentation, and execution of strategy
• Provide technical support to actuaries and underwriters using the combination of tools needed to best complete each task (e.g. SQL, Excel, VBA)
• Bachelor’s degree in Business, Analytics, Computer Science or related field
• At least 2-5 years analytical experience, with insurance experience preferred
• Advanced knowledge of SQL and Excel required; experience with Visual Studio SSIS, R, VBA, PowerBi a plus
• Experience with data management and data modelling
• Intellectual curiosity and a passion for analyzing large volumes of data to generate insights
• Solid oral and written communication skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work both independently and on teams with a desire to learn from and share knowledge with teammates.
• Effective time management, with the ability to juggle multiple projects at the same time
At BHSI we strive for excellence each and every day. We aim to hire the best of the best, both from a capabilities and character perspective. If you are looking to be challenged, to grow your knowledge of Healthcare Underwriting and to be part of a passionate healthcare team and overall insurance company.
• A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities with a growing global organization
• A liberating, fast-paced culture, centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates, and our business
• A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity, encourages innovation, and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP