Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
Berxi is the Small Commercial team within BHSI. We’re all about driving digital innovation in the Small Commercial Insurance space and are focused on leveraging technology to make insurance simple and affordable for professionals and small businesses. If you constantly strive for excellence, and want to work with a collaborative, fast paced and energetic team – then Berxi is for you.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Berxi is looking for a Senior Data Engineer with excellent problem-solving skills, strong attention to detail and the technical know-how to independently build solutions from start to finish. We are looking for a true expert on ETL development / data modeling, who is comfortable working with datasets of varying latencies and size, sourcing data from various disparate data providers and platforms.
As a Senior Data Engineer at Berxi, you will be on a largely autonomous data engineering team working closely with application engineering and senior leaders around the organization to identify needs and then design, develop and implement the necessary data storage, automation and integration solutions to support enterprise decisioning.
This role is part of a team responsible for the technical integrity of our processes, financial and operations analytics, as well as ad hoc delivery of data artifacts, all centered around our enterprise data warehouse. You will leverage a hybrid of cloud technologies to process data at scale and build CICD pipelines, microservices and PowerBI capabilities to deliver performant data solutions. The successful candidate will have demonstrated skill at ETL programming, broad understanding of data integration, storage and visualization, data modeling, developing Kimball dimensional models, data marts and supporting data analyst teams in further assessing available data.
As a team of agile engineers, you and your teammates will participate in Scrum ceremonies to deliver incremental MVP value while continuously achieving value-based services for internal and external stakeholders and partners.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Analyzing complex technical problems and expect to work on process improvements that address complex technology needs through data architecture and applications
- Enable self-service data analysis, ease of reporting, analytics visualization, data science and data management, while consistently focusing on data accessibility, efficiency, governance, processing and integrity
- Working on data designs and provisioning workflows/pipelines, extracts, ETL and integrations and/or designs using REST API’s to integrate with other data stores and systems
- Working from requests stored in a managed backlog, research and enhance specifications to develop or significantly modify data souring, storage and provisioning needs. Develop and/or modify effective, defect free source code that meets business requirements and team standards
- Analysis, development and execution of data integration, storage and visualization solutions and management of the information lifecycle needs of our organization
- Working through Agile sprints, participating in and often leading, paired programming and code reviews
- Landing and merging varying data formats and sizes from various disparate data providers and platforms
- Participate in onboarding new teammates and mentoring junior teammates through paired programming and knowledge share
- Leveraging concepts in test driven development, unit test case development to execute on all levels of testing (System, Integration and Regression)
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Generally, 4+ years of demonstrated professional software or data engineering experience with specialization in data modeling and business intelligence
- Intimate knowledge of the SQL Server stack (2016+), ETL and Trasact-SQL
- Proficient in leveraging Microsoft Azure with a concentration in ETL processing
- Proficient in data engineering concepts, languages and tools; ability to develop on multiple platforms
- Proficient in data transformation, ETL methodologies and TSQL analysis, DML and DDL scripting
- Proficient with contemporary data file formats such as Apache Parquet, Avro, JSON, unstructured data
- Familiarity modeling for and building dashboards for BI visualization tools such as Power BI / SSRS / Tableau
- Experience with relational database modeling, star schemas and Kimball Data Warehousing
- Strong understanding of RESTful API development
- Experience with NoSQL/Non-relational databases are a plus, such as blob and Azure file tables
- Working knowledge Spark SQL / C# / Python is a plus
- Working knowledge of Agile data engineering concepts and processes, such as CICD, pipelines, backlog tracking, burndown metrics and incremental delivery
- Strong collaboration, prioritization and adaptability skills required
- Must be proactive and self-driven, demonstrated initiative and be a logical thinker
- Be a positive influence on a team of skilled engineers
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities for career-oriented teammates
- A dynamic, action oriented and thoughtful environment centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates and our other stakeholders
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP.