Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Berxi is the Small Commercial team within BHSI. We’re all about driving digital innovation in the Small Commercial Insurance space and are focused on leveraging technology to make insurance simple and affordable for professionals and small businesses. If you constantly strive for excellence and want to work with a collaborative, fast paced and energetic team – then Berxi is for you.
Berxi is looking for a Senior Data Visualization engineer with excellent problem-solving skills, strong attention to detail and the technical know-how to independently build dashboard and self-service data access solutions from start to finish. We are looking for a candidate with team-leader caliber, who has the desire to approach problems from a portfolio view while sharing what you know and mentoring others on a strong, energetic team of data engineers.
As a Senior Data Visualization Engineer at Berxi, you will be on a largely autonomous Agile data engineering team working closely with senior operations leaders around the organization to identify needs and then design, develop and publish dashboards and self-service capabilities that enable those leaders to make sound, insightful, data-driven decisions aimed to further the Berxi brand in the marketplace.
This technical role is part of a team responsible communications and transparency related to the data integrity of our operations analytics. Through ad hoc and automated validation, all data flows are vetted for accuracy, with timely notification of alerts and discrepancies. The team translates ad hoc delivery requests for data artifacts in the here-and-now into future self-service capabilities. The successful candidate will have demonstrated skills at data modeling, leveraging the ‘Power’ suite of Microsoft Analytics capabilities (Query, Apps, Flow, BI) to deliver rapid response near real time data access. The role will work in tandem with the Data Architect and Technical Product Owner to build out proper quarterly roadmap plans and deliver incremental value for the Berxi business.
As a team of agile engineers, you and your teammates will participate in Scrum ceremonies to deliver incremental MVP value while continuously achieving value-based services for internal and external stakeholders and partners.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Analyzing financial and operational matrices to derive data patterns and insights that enable Berxi leadership to adjust to market trends and update workflows to increase operational efficiency
- Enabling self-service data analysis, ease of reporting, analytics visualization, data science and data management, while consistently focusing on data accessibility, efficiency, governance, processing and integrity
- Determining the proper tool options (PowerBI, XLS, custom UI) to deliver right-sized analytics
- Working in an Agile team alongside skilled engineers, architects and product leaders, on requests stored in a managed backlog. Working through Agile sprints, participating in and often leading, paired programming and code reviews
- Conforming data in Data Flow models to support portfolio level, reusable code for scalable reporting
- Participating in onboarding of new teammates and mentoring junior teammates through paired programming and knowledge share
- Leveraging concepts in test driven development, unit test case development to execute on all levels of testing (System, Integration and Regression)
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Generally, 4+ years of demonstrated professional software or data engineering experience with specialization in data visualization modelling and business intelligence
- Intimate knowledge of modeling for and building dashboards for BI visualization tools such as Power BI / SSRS / Tableau and related languages DAX, M, VizQL and Transact-SQL, gateways
- Leadership amongst colleagues through code reviews, shared training, leading team events and taking the team through development stages to production deployment
- Familiarity with ETL processing with industry leading ETL tools is a plus
- Proficient in data engineering concepts, SDLSC and data management engineering tools. (Redgate, querying tools, governance)
- Experience with reading data from and referencing relational database modeling, star schemas and data warehouses
- Working knowledge of Agile data engineering concepts and processes, such as CICD, pipelines, backlog tracking, burndown metrics and incremental delivery
- Strong collaboration, prioritization and adaptability skills required
- Must be proactive and self-driven, demonstrated initiative and be a logical thinker
- Be a positive influence on a team of skilled engineers
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities for career-oriented teammates
- A dynamic, action oriented and thoughtful environment centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates and our other stakeholders
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP.