Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Underwriter for Surety. Our Los Angeles / San Francisco offices are the preferred locations; however, candidates located in Seattle will be considered as well.
The Senior Underwriter will be responsible for the underwriting of accounts including: pre-qualifying new business, analyzing credit quality, and utilizing underwriting expertise to make sound decisions regarding terms, conditions and pricing. This position will be a market-facing representative responsible for the development and growth of the Contract Surety line of business in the West. Senior Underwriter will also be responsible for identifying and developing broker and customer relationships.
- Underwriting of contract surety book
- Credit analyses of new business and monitoring of existing book
- Develop and build the contract surety book
- Establish and develop broker and customer relationships
- RFP, Contract, & Bond Form Review for large, sophisticated projects
- Develop marketing plans
- Ability to travel within territory
- Minimum 5 years’ underwriting experience within contract surety space (5-12 years’ experience preferred)
- Credit Assessment skills
- Strong negotiation skills
- Ability to work within a Team Environment
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Experience managing and collaborating with retail brokers
- BS/BA Degree or equivalent experience
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The team member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.