Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
BHSI has an exciting opportunity in our Executive and Professional Liability division for an Underwriter to join the Financial Institutions team based in our Chicago office.
We are seeking a teammate with 5 to 10 years of experience underwriting or broking financial lines for public companies, private or non-profit entities, or financial institutions. We are seeking hard-working teammates, looking to challenge themselves through diverse learning and growth opportunities, who value a collaborative culture and who embrace that profitable underwriting is paramount. Specific responsibilities include:
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage and build upon a book of business that is consistent with the team’s strategic focus
- Expand on broker and customer relationships
- Underwrite efficiently without sacrificing discipline, diligence or portfolio strength
- Work in a fast-paced environment, with a high level of service orientation, agility and decisiveness
- Underwrite to complex and challenging risks while developing creative solutions for our partners
- Be a positive reflection on the company by demonstrating integrity and leadership in the marketplace
- Effectively communicate BHSI’s value proposition to brokers and customers
- Work closely with our in-house claims team to help create a positive and transparent experience for our customers
- Collaborate with teammates across all product lines
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Demonstrated understanding of financial analysis and financial markets
- Foundational to high level of understanding of policy forms and coverage types including: Directors and Officers Liability, Errors and Omissions, Employment Practices Liability, Fiduciary Liability and Fidelity.
- Proven ability to develop and nurture a network of broker and customer relationships
- Collaborative and team-focused mentality
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- BA/BS degree or equivalent experience
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities within a growing global organization for career-oriented teammates
- A dynamic, action oriented and thoughtful environment centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates and our other stakeholders
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework
- A growing book of primary business that offers opportunities to be customer-facing as well as experience in placing multinational global programs
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP