A strong, trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to
customers around the globe. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team
of professionals with excellent capabilities and character. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance is seeking a candidate to provide underwriting support services to our Transactional Liability team in New York City. We are open to those with prior experience in administrative assistant roles, paralegal roles as well as underwriting support roles at other insurance companies.
The Transactional Liability team provides insurance in connection with Mergers & Acquisitions and other transactions, including Representation and Warranty Insurance, Tax Insurance and Contingent Liability Insurance. In this role, the Support Technician will collaborate with and support our Transactional Liability underwriters by assisting in various administrative aspects of the underwriting process, including but not limited to, data entry, template document input and file maintenance. The role will also provide the opportunity to work directly with all departments within Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance, coordinating information flow and operational support, as well as our external broker partners, supporting the team’s marketing and policy issuance efforts.
• Support underwriters with various administrative functions related to transactional liability matters, including:
o Data capture / data entry of information from broker submission emails;
o Update of records to identify what has been quoted and what has been declined;
o Input of contact information into template agreements;
o Monitoring and documentation of the status of projects in underwriting and the receipt of associated deliverables (including necessary forms and premium payments) related to policy issuance; and
o Creation and combination of existing files in Transaction Liability folders to create a final document for policy issuance.
• Act as the primary liaison to the operations group to answer questions about policy terms, inquire about the receipt of payments, review invoices for accuracy of terms and provide updates regarding policy status.
• Create and maintain underwriting files by filing emailed documents in appropriate subfolders and ensure file integrity by conducting independent reviews of folders for missing information.
• Correspond with brokers; follow-up on outstanding information.
• Assist underwriters by researching target businesses through public sources, with an emphasis on historical litigation, environmental or labor-related problems and other negative press.
• 1-5 years of insurance or paralegal experience would be a plus
• BA/BS degree or equivalent experience
• Willingness to learn about policy construction and issuance mechanics
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, multi-task and make quick decisions while maintaining underwriting integrity
• Careful attention to detail
• Friendly, proactive and able to work within a team environment
• Strong communication skills; both verbal and written
• Strong competency in MS Office applications
• A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities with a growing global organization
• A liberating, fast-paced culture, centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates and our business
• A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity, encourages innovation, and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization